Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Elaine's Day 3 Reflection

Although the source we have examined today claims that lifelong learning is a concept explored in depth by corporations, it is a concept I learned about in the mid eighties, perhaps even the late seventies.  I was somewhat relieved to see a 1996 date on the paper, because I would have been so disappointed had I been told this was a new idea.  Perhaps, in the big picture, it is really, considering that it takes they say 5-7 generations for paradigmatic change to occur.  There was so much I wanted to do, and so much I wanted to be, to know about, so many places to look and to find knowledge for the purpose of transforming society, to make the world a better place for all of us.  I knew this was me, a life long learner.  In my teaching practice, I portrayed myself, even in junior high classrooms, as one who had different, but no more valuable knowledge than those I was teaching.  I bought wholeheartedly into the idea of communities of practice and communities of learners, the idea that each of us has value and is special and unique with something to contribute to the greater good, and later the idea of action research, a metacognitive approach to professional practice. 

Today was a day of considerable depth, and it was interesting to participate in and watch the dynamic of the class jel.  This is something that I have never seen happen in an online course to date though I believe a really effective online instructor could, with the “right” dynamics, facilitate a class that would jel.  But seeing it happen today was special.  Our discussions this morning centered around the idea of life long learning.  There can be little doubt that the folks in this class, ranging in age as we do from mid thirties to sixty, are lifelong learners.  We are there for our own personal and professional development, to be better at what we do, to expand what we can do, to go deeper into our own awarenesses of who we are and what our capacities can become, but from a broad range of professional practice, engineers, trainers in the financial sector and retail, a physicist, and learning facilitators.  Until today I think we recognized a broad disparity of opinion and we had not yet committed to a wholehearted respect for each other.  Some bring droppings, some bring coal, some bring gems.  The class needs it all.  Today, one of our class, a mid lurker, helped the class to jel.  Our physicist, believing he deals only with scientific fact, brought the gems.  I really think he, with our prof’s probing facilitation, brought about a level of interpersonal respect that crosses any boundaries that may have existed among us.  While there are 6 ways of knowing Siemens and Tittenberger cite Chickering and Ehrmann who  advocate for seven key “good practice” elements in online instruction:

1. encourages contact between students and faculty

2. develops reciprocity and cooperation among students

3. encourages active learning

4. gives prompt feedback

5. emphasizes time on task

6. communicates high expectations

7. respects diverse talents and ways of learning

We are, as of this afternoon, a “class”.  Would this have happened in an on-line class?  I do not think it would have, not with this class, this group, these people.  Could it happen in the future with Gen X or Gen Y? Absolutely, it could with the right facilitator, a person who can deliver on #1-7 above. Their comfort zone online will be what ours is f2f. 

Today, we had some looking for deep truth from mouse droppings, others searching for metaphors to give meaning, the droppers among us searching for existentialist meaning in the 21st century. We were all teachers and all learners in our little community of learners.   May we all go in peace and acceptance of the value of the other. 

1 comment:

  1. Although I trailed in commenting, here I am.
    As I read through your reflection I found my self nodding and not off to sleep. I hear and appreciate what you've said, and I too agree that this was the day the class jelled

    ReplyDelete